You Will Need…
- Colourful fabric/s for the outside of the monster.
- Colourful felt for the facial features, hands, and feet. Some suggested shapes for the felt pieces are at the end of this guide.
- One 5” closed-end zip – chunky is ideal but standard skirt zips work fine.
- Polyester satin lining fabric for the tummy pouch
- Embellishments of your choice – ribbon, rickrack, etc.
- Thread – matching and/or contrasting for the felt pieces. Thread matching the zip colour will be useful.
- Extra strong thread if sewing on buttons or other potential choking hazards.
- Optional – fabric to line the pieces if they aren’t stuffing-proof.
Tools and Equipment
- Sewing machine or selection of hand-sewing needles.
- Sharp scissors and/or rotary cutter and mat.
- Ruler (cut freehand if you prefer).
- Small, circular items to draw around for your eye shape/s.
- Heat-fusible interfacing for felt features.
- Small quilter’s clips to keep layers from slipping.
- Embroidery thread and tools.
- Pencil or pen to mark fabric and draw templates
- Cardboard or paper for templates
Step 1: Read through this guide
While explaining how to create a monster similar to the ones pictured, I encourage the reader throughout to make design decisions and go their own way on features, shape, and sizing. Please read right through and decide what to aim for before you begin, and especially before you cut anything!
Step 2: Cut out fabric pieces
- Facial Features – some suggested shapes for the felt can be found at the end of this guide. To copy my monsters you will need:
- 1 felt piece for the lips
- Felt pieces for the eyes – suggest layered circles of light and dark felt.
- Optional: 1 piece for felt mask
- Optional: 2 pieces for felt nose
- Optional: Ribbon, rickrack, etc. to embellish.
- Body/Head – 2 rectangles of colourful fabric measuring 8.5″ wide by 17″ long. (Minimum 12″ long)
- Arms and Legs – 4 slim rectangles of colourful fabric to be made into tubes for each limb. I suggest around 2″-3″ wide and 12″ or more long . You may want to make the 2 strips for the legs wider and/or longer than the 2 for the arms.
- Hands and Feet – 4 felt pieces for the hands/paws; 4 felt pieces for feet/claws. Some suggestions for the shapes can be found at the end of this guide.
- Tummy Bag/Pocket – we’ll cut this piece later, taking measurements from our monster after we’ve placed the mouth/zip.